Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Why Spatial Law?

I have been asked a few times why I am interested in developing spatial law? For those who don't appreciate the technology, my answer is difficult to understand. However, for those who do . . .

I believe that spatial technology, in all its forms, has the potential to transform all aspects of society and the global economy in ways that most people cannot imagine. Since I do not have an expertise in such fields such as engineering or software, I am trying to contribute to its growth in a way that is best suited to my skills and experience.

I am not so naive as to assume that the industry needs a fully developed body of spatial law in order to succeed. However, I do believe that issues such as privacy, liability, data ownership and national security will impact the technology's development; in order for the industry to reach its full potential, these issues need to be considered and addressed.

Currently, the legal and policy communities have been unable to keep pace with the rapid changes in the technology. My hope is that bringing all of these issues together will increase both their visibility and importance.

No comments: